Thoughts on the election ... from abroad

November 12, 2016



There was a momentous shift in America on the 8th of November (9th here). I was at home all day, glued to YouTube live news videos. Things looked good for Trump from the very beginning, but there was nothing that was completely unexpected until the very end when it became clear that he was the winner. "Winner" as in for better or for worse, DONALD TRUMP IS THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! 

Yes, I am one of those Facebook friends who share political posts constantly during election years (sorry, I'm not sorry). When it comes to blogging though, I wanted to keep politics out of it; but since this is huge and will make such tremendous ripples throughout the entire world, I can't not comment on what is happening!!

It has been a couple of days now and to say that half of America is worried sick about a Trump presidency is proving to be the understatement of the year, but anyhow, this was my facebook-posted reaction to the election results.

Wooooooooooooowwwwwww .......... 😱 I know some of you are sickly worried about the future of America and the world, but I have faith that the story isn't over and that it will all lead to something much, much better that has yet to come. I am also choosing to look at the positives. We have the potential to halt progress down the failed path that the establishment politicians have set us on these past several decades. We also will have an improved relationship with Russia, and less chance of a nuclear Third World War. Americans have spoken loudly and clearly that we want change. Whether it was to be Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Ron Paul, or a third party, we are not going to continue to accept more of the same. For that, I am proud of America! .... I am pretty worried about Republicans having the power in all the Senate, House, and Presidency though.  

I'll be watching the political scene and my thoughts may change, but for now this is how I feel. I've been a little terrified by some the reactions to the election that I have seen. Racists and bigots of all kinds seem to be crawling out the woodworks and having their moment under the sun, but I'm hopeful still that Trump will be able to pull himself together and act presidential, stop spouting divisive rhetoric that he may or may not mean to be taken literally, and if not turn the nation in the right direction, at least stop America from continuing to go in the wrong direction. That is my one expectation from him: change the way things are going without fucking things up too badly. From there, we can start anew! :) peace. 

P.S.
I'm an Independent who voted third party.




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have never been interested in politics, but I was also glued to the updates on election day! I choose to think everything happens for a reason and lets see whats next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Everything happens for a reason, let's see what's next .... that's what I was getting at, but you just said how I feel in a heck of a lot less words than I used! Haha

      Delete